Wednesday 21 October 2015

HF Band analysis using JT65-HF-HB9HQX

I use JT65-HF-HB9HQX for JT65 for on all bands from HF to 6m. A great feature when displaying the "Band Statistics" window shows a number of useful items:

  • QSOs - shows the total number of contacts per band and a total for all bands
  • Stations - shows the total number of unique stations contacted per band and a total for all bands
  • Grids - shows the total grid squares worked per band and a total for all bands
  • DXCCs - shows the total number of DXCC entities worked per band and a total for all bands

Band Statistics window in JT65-HF-HB9HQX



From the analysis I can see that my station is lacking in capabilities on 160m, 80m, 12m and 10m.
To be fair 10m at this QTH is very quiet - I've only had 6 QSOs in the last year and the best DX was using PSX31 to Buenos Aires in Argentina a total of nearly 7000 miles. Most of the others were European stations and one was in Asiatic Russia over SSB. Now that the solar minimum is approaching I think that 10m DX will be a future dream for me. Good job I use JT65 which is excellent at picking out signals from the noise!


  • 12m band - I have not had QSOs on 12m even though the antenna is resonant on the band.
  • 80m band - 80m is difficult to tune the end fed dipole with my ATU so I need something else specifically for 80m.
  • 160m band - I can't use 160m as I don't have a suitable antenna. 


So the Band Statistics option is a very useful tool.

No comments:

Post a Comment