Wednesday 10 June 2015

Allstar/Echolink simplex nodes

I found a local node called MB7IUK located in Ashton Under Lyne which is attached to the "UK Allstar Hub Network" - whatever that is - and had a listen.
It seems to act like a repeater but isn't a repeater.
Today I heard a station coming out of Manchester Airport and to me it just sounded like a mobile station with the associated flutter. He was talking to a station in Norfolk.
There was a few two tone noises and it appears that this is the "over" sound. I'm not sure how the station in Norfolk was accessing the node - maybe he was doing it over the internet using Echolink or connected to a node local to him and had opened a channel (again over the internet but node to node this time).

I had a look on QRZ.COM and found a note about the node that said "Please be aware you may not be able to hear the station talking to the node as this is not transmitted out of the node, only received."
So how does this work as a repeater? If I can't hear the station talking into the node how can we communicate?

Update 07/07/2015


Nick M0NCZ the owner of MB7IUK too the time to write to me to explain how the system works.


"The reason you are not able to hear some stations at times is that these stations are talking “into” MB7IUK in that it is receiving there signal then sending it to the UK Allstar hub.

This is distinguished by a Der dah tone (means local traffic to the node – it is receiving)

The normal courtesy tone “Sqerch” (short Motorola sounding control tone) means this is traffic coming from the UK ALLSTAR HUB (therefore MB7IUK transmits it out).

So if you have a local user going “Into” MB7IUK on 145.2875 then you would be receiving him direct just like MB7IUK is.

I hope this makes sense?"

Squerch sound
UKALLSTAR HUB > MB7IUK> 145.2875MHz> G8YPH


Der dah sound
UKALLSTAR HUB  <MB7IUK <145.2875MHz <Local RF User into MB7IUK (could be G8YPH)

Thanks to Nick for explaining my queries about how it works. Now it's a pity I don't currently have a Dstar rig to investigate this system more. I'll have to try out MB7IUK on regular FM myself and see what it can do.

FOr more information about Allstar and to participate goto this link for a look.




No comments:

Post a Comment