Tuesday 7 July 2015

DM780 Waterfall hiccups

I noticed the other day that the waterfall was hiccuping from time to time. I thought nothing of it as "it was probably something cosmetic to do with the display driver". Oh how wrong I was.
I was in QSO with a guy on lowly PSK31 and noticed that my last 73 over to him stumbled slightly and took much longer to complete than normal.

Now my Windows 7 64 bit PC is not slow nor lacking in RAM but I investigated to find a process taking an inordinate amount of memory (almost 2GB). It was the "svchost.exe -k LocalSystemNetworkRestricted" host process. I know from my work in computers that sometimes hackers replace this file with their own.
To cure this I first of all killed the process and then ran up an administrative cmd.exe prompt (right click the cmd icon on your start menu and select run as administrator)
Then I typed in the cmd line sfc /scannow and let it run to its conclusion. This will report on whether any essential system files have been replaced with dodgy ones and repair them with the original Microsoft ones if it finds any. Fortunately it did not find any and I noticed that svchost had automatically restarted.

I monitored this over the next few days and it took no more that 220 MB of RAM - not bad for an 8GB machine.

DM780 no longer stutters. So have a look at your machine before you blame the HRD software!

For more information about sfc have a look at Microsoft Knowledgebase article here

No comments:

Post a Comment