Tuesday 17 November 2015

JT65-HF HB9HQX, JTAlert and Ham Radio Deluxe Database configuration tips

If you read this blog you know that I use all of the above. I found a problem where JTAlert would not intercept QSO logging from HB9HQX and write it to HRD and online xml databases.

It appears I had configured HB9HQX incorrectly for it to work properly with JTAlert. Laurie, VK3AMA, the writer of JTAlert is a busy man and hasn't got around to fully completing the help files for JTAlert so there is a lack of information here.
I wrote to Laurie and he told me what the correct configuration should be.

JT65-HF HB9HQX should be set to log to its default local log. I had it set for HRD logbook which would negate JTAlert from functioning correctly.
JT65-HF HB9HQX log configuration tab
I've also found that it helps if you exclude the folder where you have installed JTAlert from the virus scanner. I installed the software into C:\JT65-HB9HQX rather than C:\program files (x86)\JT65-HB9HQX. I was having trouble when starting the software as the Anti Virus software I use, Avast, would stop the loader spawning any files.

Then JTAlert was configured to log to HRD using an ODBC connection similar to this screenshot below.
JTAlert log configuration tab
I also have several online XML logbooks that I like to keep up to date, QRZ.COM, HRDLog.net, HamQTH.com, eQSL.cc and ClubLog.org. These are all catered for by JTAlert and the configuration is on the Online Logbooks tab.
JTAlert online XML logs tab
On completion of a QSO in HB9HQX you simply click the Log QSO button and fill in the popup LOg COntact dialog box with any QSL message you want to add.
JT65-HF HB9HQX Log Contact dialog box
Alternatively leave it as your default message and press Log QSO again. The QSO gets written into the local log from HB9HQX and then JTAlert intercepts this log entry. It is then automatically transferred over to HRD logbook and any other XML logbooks you may have configured.
This works seamlessly and there is a popup box in JTAlert that confirms this.
JTAlert QSO success popup box

So these points you need to bear in mind:
  • USE THE DEFAULT LOG FOR HB9HQX
  • IMPORT YOUR ADIF LOGBOOK INTO HB9HQX FIRST OF ALL
  • DO NOT CONFIGURE JT65-HF HB9HQX TO WRITE TO HRD LOGBOOK.
  • MAKE SURE YOU USE THE LATEST VERSIONS OF ALL SOFTWARE

My current setup has the following versions:
  • JT65-HF HB9HQX Version 1.0 update 6
  • JTAlert 2.6.22
  • Ham Radio Deluxe 6.3.0.447
73 de Terry G8YPH

No comments:

Post a Comment