Thursday 19 March 2015

Bug in Ham Radio Deluxe 6.2.8.330 Logbook module

I paid for the excellent Ham Radio Deluxe yesterday as I had been using the evaluation version for a couple of weeks. My PC required rebuilding so I reinstalled Windows 7 SP1 and patched it to the hilt. Then HRD was installed.



I created a new database in the c:\programdata\HRDLLC\HRD location with my callsign as the logbook name. This is a hidden folder on your C: drive if you didn't already know. I left everything in the HRD Logbook application at its defaults with callsign lookup set at Logbook and Country file.

Then whilst in HRD Logbook I clicked Add and performed the following:

  • entered a callsign. 
  • clicked the QRZ button 
  • waited for something to appear in the country tab
  • click cancel
  • Then the error "HRDLookbook MFC Application has stopped working" appears

This is very repeatable and the error is written into the Windows application log.

I opened up a support ticket with HRD and after a little communication between me and them they confirmed I had found a bug. There was a new release about to be made and the developers have been made aware of the bug to see if it is also in the new release.

Hopefully they can sort this problem out. I always like helping out software developers and realize that as this software is now so big occasional bugs like this creep in.

2 comments:

  1. I have the same error in version 6.3.0.466
    Was there any resolution for the error? I find that after several HRD close and restarts it goes away - for a while.... sometimes running as administrator works - your advice is apreciated. I have a ticket open but they are clsoed for the holidays. Thanks, Howard, KO4GS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Howard,
      Yes I reported this to HRD with 6.2.8.330 and they recognised it as an error. A ticket was opened and the subsequent release had a patch. I've not seen the error since so it might be a good idea to open a ticket with HRD if you are seeing it with a more recent release.

      Delete