Friday 13 March 2015

Wouxun KG-UV950P review - Part 3 - Configuration and VFO Programming


Maybe I should have had this section first as it is very important other wise everything defaults to Chinese.

Configuration Tab

Whilst running the KG-UV950P 2.5K software click the Configuration tab.
Out of the box settings

As can be seen there is a lot of options here but I have mine now set to this


Configuration settings that work for me

Maybe this needs an explanation as I have been running the rig for several months now and find they work for me. Specifically the LED settings. I found that the default settings were quite unreadable to my eyes so opted for white for receive and standby modes (RX and WX(!)) and green for transmit mode (TX). I also turned off the annoying beeps and voice feedback. Nice for 5 minutes but not all the time.
Incidently the voice feedback defaults to Chinese which is interesting for a short while.

You can switch the speaker between the chassis speakers (or external speakers if you have them connected), the microphone speaker or both.

Another setting that you may consider changing is for the TOT setting.The aim of the time-out timer (TOT) is to prevent the transceiver from continuously transmitting. When the continuous transmitting time exceeds the limit, the transmission is stopped. I have set it to 5MIN as the default is 2MIN and I think it is too short. Essentially this setting determines the amount of time you can transmit without it switching back to receive mode. When I first tried this the rig stopped transmitting and wouldn't allow me to key back up for about 30 seconds. The other station thought I had lost power. You can alter this anything between 1 minute and 60 minutes but it can't be switched off completely.

I also set the fan to come on when transmitting/high temperature reached.

VFO Settings Tab


Default VFO settings


This is where it gets interesting.
VFO A is capable of transmit and receive on all frequencies including receive on airband, FM broadcast and non ham bands. Whereas VFO B can only work on 2m and 70cms.

I have my rig setup as per this screenshot
G8YPH VFO Settings

I have set all the default power to low on all bands for VFO A, high power for VFO B, the step frequency to 2.5 kHz for both VFOs and the squelch for VFO A to 5 and VFO B to 9.

There are many other functions available on this screen but note that most of them can be overriden individually for any memory channels you may have setup. It really is very flexible,

So it is not possible to transmit 10m nor 6m on VFO B - just a point to bear in mind.



No comments:

Post a Comment