Tuesday 4 August 2015

2 rigs 2 antennas 2 coaxial switches - Part 1

I have a couple of antennas and 2 base station rigs. The FM transceiver is quad band and is attached to a tri band antenna covering 6m/2m/70cm. The HF antenna is connected to a multi band antenna covering 40m to 6m including all the WARC bands. It is supposed to be able to resonate on 80m band too but I've never had any success with this.

With this in mind the 6m portion of the VHF/UHF antenna (Diamond V-2000) is an inverted Vee that is directional - despite "visually appearing" to be part of a vertically polarized antenna system. The VHF and UHF portions of the antenna are omnidirectional vertically polarized. I have the 6m portion pointing eastwards.

At times of 6m activity it would be nice to switch between the conventional HF antenna to the W-2000 on the HF rig to see if there are any differences. It is very inconvenient to reach around the back of each of the rigs to unscrew the antenna plugs and swap them over so I came up with this idea.
Using a pair of Diamond CX-210A 2 way coaxial switches I designed the circuit shown below.



There is no interlocking so there can become an issue where rigs are connected to nothing on occasion. However the good news is that the output of one cannot be connected to the output of another! As this is going to be used just by me I see no problem. I just have to remember to throw both switches at the same time. 

The antenna switches are connected the conventional way (the HF rig feeding the common connection) of the HF switch. The FM transceiver is connected to one of the switched connections of the VHF/UHF switch. In normal operation each rig is connected to its respective antenna. When I want to use the HF rig on the V-2000 I have to throw both switches to their other positions. I would also switch the FM transceiver off as it wouldn't be connected to an antenna at all.

There doesn't appear to be anything relatively cheap on the amateur market that can do this so in the spirit of ham radio I'm doing it myself. The switches and connectors have been ordered - watch this space!

No comments:

Post a Comment