Thursday 20 August 2015

Logbooks and logging in the UK

It is no longer a requirement in the UK for a station logbook to be kept. There is a clause in the current license that states "12(1) For the purposes of any interference investigation, to determine compliance with the
terms, conditions and limitations of this Licence, or for any other matter concerning the
enforcement of any relevant legislation, the Licensee shall at the request of a person
authorised by Ofcom, keep a permanent record (a “log”) of such matters concerning the
operation of the Radio Equipment, over such period, and in such form, as the authorised
person may require."
Which basically means if Ofcom tell you to keep one on the basis of an interference investigation you must do so until they decide otherwise.

As an old hand in amateur radio, having held my license since 1980, I have always kept a log and always will. I know it is now voluntary but it's really nice to look back through the logbook and see previous contacts. I'm still on my first physical paper one as I did a lot of packet radio operation and that kept it's own electronic logs that I still have. However I have purchased a new one from the RSGB and that is on the shelf when the original is filled. I wonder what date that will be!

Logbook #1


No comments:

Post a Comment